WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: O365 and NVDA

for

Number of posts in this thread: 5 (In chronological order)

Date: Wed, Aug 10 2016 10:34AM
Subject: O365 and NVDA
No previous message | Next message →

Hi. I currently work for a state department and I am a new user of NVDA and have been asked by my management if NVDA is compatible with office365. Does anyone know of any issues occurring with NVDA and the install of O365? My Department will soon be rolling out O365 and would like to know if we should anticipate any problems.

Thank you

Claudia Cabrera
Accessibility and Policy Unit

Date: Wed, Aug 10 2016 11:04AM
Subject: Re: O365 and NVDA
← Previous message | Next message →

No, you should be fine.

365 is highly likeable by admins because it runs light on their servers. There might be some areas of Office that might not be accessible, but for the most part, your IT department should be good to go.

http://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2016.2.1/nvda_2016.2.1_changes.html

I just gave the green light to our IT department to upgrade the campus and all 1600 stores with 2016 365. It will be present on our OU and we have set up a specific GPO to ensure it sets Office up with the best user experience for JAWS and NVDA 2016.2.1.

Freedom Scientific recommended upgrading to it as Microsoft has improved the "Schedule Assistant". In a large corporation like mine, we are setting up meetings in different buildings and rooms constantly. Currently with 2013, I found a way around it, but definitely looking forward to see if Microsoft improved the add-on accessibility to be able to select a room and see its availability before I start adding people to attend the meeting.

Date: Wed, Aug 10 2016 11:24AM

Hi,
No matter what screen reader you use, you should, in my view, not use the web versions of the Office 365 apps, but let your installation install the desktop versions of the real applications. Furthermore, it depends on the tasks you are doing when you ask how well NVDA works with Office 365. The latest NVDA is in my view almost as good as JAWS for most Office tasks. If writing is something you need to do professionally, JAWS is best for spell and grammar check and looking at readability indexes in Word or Outlook. NVDA can't read the readability dialog in Word. If you're a writer, this is a big deal. On the flip side, if your organization uses Change Tracking, I like NVDA better.

That's just off the top of my head.

Thanks.

Jim
=========Jim Homme,
Accessibility Consultant,
Bender HighTest Accessibility Team
Bender Consulting Services, Inc.,
412-787-8567,
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
http://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions
E+R=O

Date: Wed, Aug 10 2016 11:34AM

Thanks Jim for clarifying my answer. As I am working and responding to emails, I tend to abbreviate quite a bit.

You do not want to use 365 through the browser. As JIM stated, make sure all necessary Office features are installed on the physical or virtual machine itself.

I referred to that indirectly by stating that we have set up a GPO for office 365. That's networking jargon. Sorry for any confusion.

Date: Wed, Aug 10 2016 2:31PM
← Previous message | No next message

Hello,
The native windows apps are usable as they are just office. I can't say
anything about the web clients.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs <http://brandonkeithbiggs.com/>;

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Cabrera, Claudia@DSS <
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:

> Hi. I currently work for a state department and I am a new user of NVDA
> and have been asked by my management if NVDA is compatible with office365.
> Does anyone know of any issues occurring with NVDA and the install of O365?
> My Department will soon be rolling out O365 and would like to know if we
> should anticipate any problems.
>
> Thank you
>
> Claudia Cabrera
> Accessibility and Policy Unit
> > > > >