WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: How do we advise users of virtual machines when it comes to keyboard only navigation?

for

Number of posts in this thread: 1 (In chronological order)

Date: Tue, Oct 08 2024 12:07PM
Subject: How do we advise users of virtual machines when it comes to keyboard only navigation?
No previous message | No next message

List hive-mind,

I'd recently tested Propeller which will our allow our college's students without new, powerful computers, to run applications for classes that call for more capable computers. It has the ability to navigate to and toggle on an instance of NVDA screen reader to run in the virtual machine. But, on trying commonly used keyboard combinations like Alt plus Tab, that switches focus away from the virtual environment to other applications running on my local machine. Also challenging, how to minimize an application running in that virtual machine to then load another, copy content from one and paste into another.

Propeller does offer a selection of buttons above the virtual desktop display, but getting to and using those seems time consuming and cumbersome.

I've also recently explored Parallels with Windows 11 running on a MacBook and also wonder how I'd advise another in keyboard only navigation of such a setup.

Do you all know of some good resources on this process?

Doug Hayman
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology
Olympic College
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = <mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
(360) 475-7632