WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: CommonLook with a screen reader

for

Number of posts in this thread: 2 (In chronological order)

Date: Wed, Apr 21 2021 3:14PM
Subject: CommonLook with a screen reader
No previous message | Next message →

A friend has asked me if I know anybody that uses CommonLook for tagging PDFs who is a screen reader user. I don't, but perhaps one of you do? He's been using Acrobat, but there's a number of things he can't do (beyond things that require sight, such as seeing if color alone is being used to convey meaning, authoring alt text, etc.) and is wondering if CommonLook would be a worthwhile investment.

Thank you!
sb
Sarah E. Bourne
Director of IT Accessibility
1 Ashburton Place, 8th Floor, Boston, MA 02108
Office: (617) 626-4502 (messages only)
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = <mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > | www.mass.gov/eotss<;http://www.mass.gov/anf/research-and-tech/oversight-agencies/itd/>;
Executive Office of Technology Services and Security (EOTSS)
EOTSS provides secure and quality digital information, services, and tools
to constituents and service providers when and where they need them.

Date: Thu, Apr 22 2021 3:08PM
Subject: Re: CommonLook with a screen reader
← Previous message | No next message

Hi Sarah,
CommonLook PDF is, in fact, fully accessible and useable by screen reader users! In fact, I've taught classes to people using screen readers on both basic and advanced PDF remediation using CommonLook!

Of course, part of remediation and testing requires verifying the accuracy of alternative text for images and verifying that color use and contrast are in compliance (among other things). These things could be difficult for screen reader users to do regardless of the software they are using. (They would have to know what the graphic is showing to verify whether or not the alternative text is accurate, for example.) However, when it comes to tagging and PDF remediation, CommonLook PDF is fully accessible and useable by everyone, including for people using AT.

Also, please note: This is not a sales pitch! I'm in the Training department and the purpose of this reply is to provide first-hand knowledge about the accessibility of CommonLook PDF. I hope my reply is not offensive to anyone and I apologize in advance if it is seen as being "sales-y."

I hope this helps, though.

Best wishes,
Paul

Paul Rayius, ADS
Vice-President of Training at CommonLook
Address 1600 Wilson Blvd., Suite 1010, Arlington, VA 22209
Fax +1 202-434-8707 
Email  = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =  
Website https://www.commonlook.com/

Read this now! How CommonLook's expertise helped Google with PDF accessibility
Special Offer: For a Limited Time, Save $5,000+ in CommonLook Software

Free Newsletter | Software | Remediation Services | Training

Disclaimer:
This e-mail message is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s). Any other person is strictly prohibited from disclosing, distributing or reproducing it. If the addressee(s) cannot be reached or is unknown to you, please inform the sender by return e-mail.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Bourne, Sarah (MASSIT)
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 5:14 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] CommonLook with a screen reader

A friend has asked me if I know anybody that uses CommonLook for tagging PDFs who is a screen reader user. I don't, but perhaps one of you do? He's been using Acrobat, but there's a number of things he can't do (beyond things that require sight, such as seeing if color alone is being used to convey meaning, authoring alt text, etc.) and is wondering if CommonLook would be a worthwhile investment.

Thank you!
sb
Sarah E. Bourne
Director of IT Accessibility
1 Ashburton Place, 8th Floor, Boston, MA 02108
Office: (617) 626-4502 (messages only)
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = <mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > | www.mass.gov/eotss<;http://www.mass.gov/anf/research-and-tech/oversight-agencies/itd/>;
Executive Office of Technology Services and Security (EOTSS) EOTSS provides secure and quality digital information, services, and tools to constituents and service providers when and where they need them.