WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: scorm

for

Number of posts in this thread: 3 (In chronological order)

Date: Tue, Mar 14 2023 11:37AM
Subject: scorm
No previous message | Next message →

Dear list,
Does anyone have any experience with scorm? Just rying to learn more
about what is? Thanks.

Sincerely,
Nathan Clark

Date: Tue, Mar 14 2023 12:01PM
Subject: Re: scorm
← Previous message | Next message →

It is a technical specification that defines interoperable elearning content, so that a person can create a course in one application and have it exportable/usable in other platforms that support the SCORM standard. For instance, Articulate Storyline and similar training/couse content authoring software applications support SCORM.

Here's on place to find an overview SCORM Explained 101: One Minute SCORM Overview<https://scorm.com/scorm-explained/one-minute-scorm-overview/>

--Steve Noble
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
502-969-3088
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > on behalf of Nathan Clark < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2023 1:37 PM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] scorm

[You don't often get email from = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = . Learn why this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of our organization. Do not click links, open attachments, or respond unless you recognize the sender's email address and know the contents are safe.

Dear list,
Does anyone have any experience with scorm? Just rying to learn more
about what is? Thanks.

Sincerely,
Nathan Clark

Date: Tue, Mar 14 2023 12:01PM
Subject: Re: scorm
← Previous message | No next message

SCORM is a standardised JavaScript wrapper that you add around e-learning modules to allow them to communicate with the host learning management system. The wrapper will report events such as whether the module has been started, completed or partially completed, and it can be a lot more sophisticated than that.

In my experience, the wrapper itself is entirely transparent to the user, so it should not introduce any accessibility issues that are not already in the e-learning module.

I did some functional testing of SCORM wrappers about 20 years ago. At the time the client was using SCORM v1.2. A validator was available that did some static tests on the XML manifest and some other things I have long forgotten. There are newer SCORM specifications, but I don't know if they got any traction because people were still using v1.2 long after the newer specifications were published.

I have seen enough of SCORM to know that I never want to work on it again, no matter how much anyone offers to pay.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Nathan Clark
Sent: 14 March 2023 17:37
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] scorm

Dear list,
Does anyone have any experience with scorm? Just rying to learn more about what is? Thanks.

Sincerely,
Nathan Clark