WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: WordPress: Getting Started

for

Number of posts in this thread: 3 (In chronological order)

Date: Tue, Oct 17 2023 1:57PM
Subject: WordPress: Getting Started
No previous message | Next message →

Hello WebAIM members,

A sighted friend will be providing me assistance, either directive
oriented, or doing, to help me create something between a blog/website
at WordPress. I want to keep the choice to use a free version, rather
than premium at $96 annually.

As to accessibility, do we have alternatives besides the WCAG program
to guide creation?
Can I find something practical under the ADA Act?

I am a general fiction author by avocation, and this is the purpose
for going with a blog/website on WordPress.

At present I use NVDA as screen reader, an all-in-one computer, and am
a blind person. These will be my tools to create content etc.

The prospect of a blog/website, rolled into one is exciting to me!

Thanks for the asistance in advance!
Kindly,
--
David C. Russell, Author
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =

Date: Wed, Oct 18 2023 11:42AM
Subject: Re: WordPress: Getting Started
← Previous message | Next message →

I have heard that there are accessible Wordpress themes. But my experience as a JAWS user is that the Wordpress ecosystem is full of land mines. I helped review a new church site a few years ago. It had inaccessible tables, headings, lists and buttons as I recall. I had no opportunity to see the content development side, such as what a blogger would work in. That could be a challenge as well.
Be sure to test your project as soon as possible. I think the WCAG is a wonderful guide, but you may find the problems to be so obvious that you do not need such a detailed guide.

Jeff Gutsell

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of David Russell
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2023 3:57 PM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] WordPress: Getting Started

Hello WebAIM members,

A sighted friend will be providing me assistance, either directive oriented, or doing, to help me create something between a blog/website at WordPress. I want to keep the choice to use a free version, rather than premium at $96 annually.

As to accessibility, do we have alternatives besides the WCAG program to guide creation?

I am a general fiction author by avocation, and this is the purpose for going with a blog/website on WordPress.

At present I use NVDA as screen reader, an all-in-one computer, and am a blind person. These will be my tools to create content etc.

Kindly,
--
David C. Russell, Author

Date: Wed, Oct 18 2023 11:52AM
Subject: Re: [EXT] WordPress: Getting Started
← Previous message | No next message

Hello,

I manage a number of WordPress sites utilizing the GeneratePress theme with the accompanying paid premium plugins and it is quite accessible. The Customizer makes building menus and modifying other areas of the site much easier when using WordPress. Is it perfect, no, not by a long shot, but it is for sure doable. You can learn more about it by browsing to the site:

https://generatepress.com/

Happy blogging 😊.

Jeff Bishop

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2023 10:43 AM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [EXT]Re: [WebAIM] WordPress: Getting Started

External Email

I have heard that there are accessible Wordpress themes. But my experience as a JAWS user is that the Wordpress ecosystem is full of land mines. I helped review a new church site a few years ago. It had inaccessible tables, headings, lists and buttons as I recall. I had no opportunity to see the content development side, such as what a blogger would work in. That could be a challenge as well.
Be sure to test your project as soon as possible. I think the WCAG is a wonderful guide, but you may find the problems to be so obvious that you do not need such a detailed guide.

Jeff Gutsell

From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of David Russell
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2023 3:57 PM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] WordPress: Getting Started

Hello WebAIM members,

A sighted friend will be providing me assistance, either directive oriented, or doing, to help me create something between a blog/website at WordPress. I want to keep the choice to use a free version, rather than premium at $96 annually.

As to accessibility, do we have alternatives besides the WCAG program to guide creation?

I am a general fiction author by avocation, and this is the purpose for going with a blog/website on WordPress.

At present I use NVDA as screen reader, an all-in-one computer, and am a blind person. These will be my tools to create content etc.

Kindly,
--
David C. Russell, Author