WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Importnance of search over contact information?

for

Number of posts in this thread: 2 (In chronological order)

Date: Wed, May 08 2013 11:47AM
Subject: Importnance of search over contact information?
No previous message | Next message →

Not specifically accessibility oriented … except that providing a search as an alternative method for finding site content is a method to to used to meet WCAG 2.

Wondering, aside from using any kind of semantic markup on a page provided to navigate, if you visit a site, that presented a search feature and a contact feature (information about who to contact for more info) at the top for the page, what would be your preferred tab order, first encounter the search or first encounter the contact info? I'm thinking search is more important for a site generally.

A bit more info … we are having a design discussion. The page has a search tab followed by a contacts tab to the right just above the primary navigation bar. Using keyboard navigation, tabbing from the top of the page will first focus on the contact tab. Tabbing again will move focus to the left to the search tab. First, I would prefer the tab order stays in the Western left-to-right order. Second, the argument made for focusing first on the contact tab is that visitors want to know who to contact about a site more than they want to search the site for information. The argument goes that this is even more important for users of accessible technology.

I think the search function is generally more important to all visitors.

Thoughts?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick Hill, Web CMS Administrator
Strategic Communications, UC Davis
(530) 752-9612
http://cms.ucdavis.edu

Date: Wed, May 08 2013 2:39PM
Subject: Re: Importnance of search over contact information?
← Previous message | No next message

I would agree that search should come first. I would most often search
for my answers, and only contact directly if I can't find them.

-- cew

*Carol E. Wheeler*

Web Co-ordinator
American Institute for Cancer Research
1759 R Street NW
Washington DC 20009

Direct Dial: 202-600-3001
Tel: 202-328-7744
Fax: 202-328-7226

= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
http://www.aicr.org