WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Delete PDF tag vs. artifact?

for

Number of posts in this thread: 5 (In chronological order)

Date: Thu, Sep 14 2017 2:45PM
Subject: Delete PDF tag vs. artifact?
No previous message | Next message →

Hello,
I am new to tagging. For decorative or irrelevant images, is it always necessary to artifact them? I am testing and find that if I delete the irrelevant tags from the PDF they still display on the PDF but are not spoken by the NVDA screen reader. I am generating PDF tags when I save the MS Word doc to PDF, so as far as I can tell I am not losing my irrelevant images.

Also...when writing alt-text is it preferable to include or exclude the period (stop) at the end of the sentence?

Thanks!

Jill Spealman
Instructional Designer/Technical Writer
JLL Technology Experience and Adoption

This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author's prior permission. We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses. The information contained in this communication may be confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege. If you are the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar electronic messages from us in the future then please respond to the sender to this effect.

Date: Thu, Sep 14 2017 7:30PM
Subject: Re: Delete PDF tag vs. artifact?
← Previous message | Next message →

I think it is preferable to artifact decorative content instead of just
removing the tags: otherwise you may end up with "untagged" content when
you use the built-in automated accessibility checker in Acrobat to check
the accessibility of your PDF. And in some cases, it will mean that you
have content in your PDF content tree that is not placed inside a
declared container, which is required by the more extensive PDF/UA
specification for accessible PDFs.

In practical terms, I'm not sure in which cases this will affect a
particular user of assistive technology, but the best practice would be
to artifact these items.

When you delete the tags in the tag editor, you are not deleting them
from the actual content tree, but just from the tag tree, and screen
readers will use the tag tree to present the content if they can.

I'm not sure of the best practice regarding periods at the end of
alternative text. I normally don't. Unless my alternative text contains
more than one sentence - which I try not to do!

Phil.

On 2017-09-14 4:45 PM, Spealman, Jill wrote:
> Hello,
> I am new to tagging. For decorative or irrelevant images, is it always necessary to artifact them? I am testing and find that if I delete the irrelevant tags from the PDF they still display on the PDF but are not spoken by the NVDA screen reader. I am generating PDF tags when I save the MS Word doc to PDF, so as far as I can tell I am not losing my irrelevant images.
>
> Also...when writing alt-text is it preferable to include or exclude the period (stop) at the end of the sentence?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jill Spealman
> Instructional Designer/Technical Writer
> JLL Technology Experience and Adoption
>
>
>
> This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author's prior permission. We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses. The information contained in this communication may be confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege. If you are the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar electronic messages from us in the future then please respond to the sender to this effect.
> > > >

Date: Fri, Sep 15 2017 7:15AM

I am a screen reader user so this is my opinion based on my experience
dealing with PDF documents.

Punctuation is important and in most cases speech synthesizers will
adjust their behaviour depending on the punctuation provided.
A slight pause or change of pitch can occur based on the punctuation
provided. If no punctuation is used, then the text may be run together
with the text contained in other elements of the document.

David Farough

Coordonnateur de l'accessibilité des applications, Services intégrés de
gestion des TI
Commission de la fonction publique du Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = Tél: 819-420-8418 Télécopieur :
819-420-8408

Application Accessibility Co-ordinator, Corporate IT Management
Public Service Commission of Canada / Government of Canada
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = Tel: 819-420-8418 / Fax: 819-420-8408

>>> "Spealman, Jill" < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > 04:45 PM Thursday,
September 14, 2017 >>>
Also...when writing alt-text is it preferable to include or exclude the
period (stop) at the end of the sentence?

Thanks!

Date: Fri, Sep 15 2017 8:40AM

Regarding punctuation in Alt-text, we discovered eons ago that many (if not all) screen reader technologies would run the Alt-text into the body text that follows if there wasn't punctuation at the end. Without it, there wasn't a clear audible change in the voicing to signal the user that Alt-text had ended.

Since those of us who create content have no idea which A.T. or personal settings will be used to access our I.C.T., it makes sense to put punctuation in our Alt-text, especially at the end, to ensure we're communicating as clearly as possible to our audiences.

It takes just a nanosecond to type a period at the end, and it does absolutely no harm to the document, only good.

Our policy is to always use correct grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation in our Alt-text. We aim to communicate ideas as best as possible to everyone in our audience, and eliminate potential confusion.

--Bevi Chagnon

- - -
Bevi Chagnon | www.PubCom.com
Technologists, Consultants, Trainers, Designers, and Developers
for publishing & communication
| Acrobat PDF | Print | EPUBS | Sec. 508 Accessibility |
- - -

September 14, 2017 >>>
Also...when writing alt-text is it preferable to include or exclude the period (stop) at the end of the sentence?

Thanks!

Date: Fri, Sep 15 2017 12:14PM
← Previous message | No next message

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Very helpful!

Jill Spealman
Instructional Designer/Technical Writer
JLL Technology Experience and Adoption

-----Original Message-----
From: Chagnon | PubCom [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ]
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 9:41 AM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Delete PDF tag vs. artifact?

Regarding punctuation in Alt-text, we discovered eons ago that many (if not all) screen reader technologies would run the Alt-text into the body text that follows if there wasn't punctuation at the end. Without it, there wasn't a clear audible change in the voicing to signal the user that Alt-text had ended.

Since those of us who create content have no idea which A.T. or personal settings will be used to access our I.C.T., it makes sense to put punctuation in our Alt-text, especially at the end, to ensure we're communicating as clearly as possible to our audiences.

It takes just a nanosecond to type a period at the end, and it does absolutely no harm to the document, only good.

Our policy is to always use correct grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation in our Alt-text. We aim to communicate ideas as best as possible to everyone in our audience, and eliminate potential confusion.

--Bevi Chagnon

- - -
Bevi Chagnon | www.PubCom.com
Technologists, Consultants, Trainers, Designers, and Developers for publishing & communication
| Acrobat PDF | Print | EPUBS | Sec. 508 Accessibility |
- - -

September 14, 2017 >>>

Thanks!

This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author's prior permission. We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses. The information contained in this communication may be confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege. If you are the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar electronic messages from us in the future then please respond to the sender to this effect.