Foxit and PDF Accessibility
Defining PDF Accessibility
PhantomPDF program by Foxit that you can use to create and edit PDF files. This article outlines how to create and repair accessible PDFs using Phantom PDF, version 9.
- WebAIM offers an online course for creating accessible documents in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint, and converting these documents to accessible PDFs using Foxit PhantomPDF Business
- Foxit provided the software and funding to develop this article.
There are 3 versions of PhantomPDF available:
- PhantomPDF Standard: Allows the creation of tagged PDFs within the program, and through an add-in for Microsoft Office. However, it cannot be used to view or edit the accessibility of a PDF.
- PhantomPDF Business: Adds the very important ability to view and edit the accessibility of a PDF.
- Phantom PDF Mac: This version does not support creating or editing tagged PDFs at this time.
In other words, you must have PhantomPDF Business for Windows to both create and edit tagged PDFs.
Although there are many differences in look and function between PhantomPDF and Acrobat, the accessibility features of PhantomPDF Business are almost identical to Acrobat Pro XI. If you are already familiar with the accessibility tools in Acrobat Pro, the processes outlined in this article should be very familiar.