WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: The a11y bugs project

for

Date: Oct 26, 2011 10:00AM

Hi Chris,

a11ybugs.org is a campaign site for the initial 3 bugs. The actual project, which was started 5 months ago is located here:

http://www.html4all.org/staging/a11y-bugs/

When the project becomes public at the URL above (probably after the campaign to fix the first 3 bugs), participation will be on a bug-by-bug basis and open to all. It will have a proper database/search/workflow that will scale.

To get the project going 5 months ago, we submitted 3 bugs to the browser vendors and then worked through back channels to get these 3 bugs fixed as a group.

The campaign site is kept simple, with only one signature for all 3 bugs so that when we go back to the browser vendors, we can present to them a single number of people who support fixing these initial 3 bugs. I believe keeping this campaign simple and focused will make it successful.

I agree that the pages do look "dated and uninviting" and someone from the community has volunteered to rework the look and feel.

Chris, I recognize your concerns and acknowledge that there is room for improvement. Nevertheless, I hope you will support this effort by adding your name to the petition and writing a tweet about this project. Thanks in advance!!!

Regards,
-Vlad

-------- Original Message --------
Date: 10/25/2011 2:33 AM
> On 24/10/2011 18:23, Vlad Alexander (XStandard) wrote:
>> I am contributing to "the a11y bugs project" that aims to identify and fix browser/tool bugs that undermine accessibility on the web. Fixing some of these bugs can have a major impact on web accessibility.
>>
>> Please check out the project here:
>> http://a11ybugs.org
> I like the concept of it but there are some issues with the site itself:
>
> - you make users sign the petition of the idea of the whole concept and
> then show the list under each bug. I might support the cause but I don't
> necessarily see each bug as a bug. If it is not in context then the list
> of names is redundant on the bug pages.
> - Bug 1, Bug 2 and Bug 3 doesn't tell me much - if I want to know what
> is going on these links should be the description of the bug
> - Having a bug list in the right hand column doesn't scale at all - if
> there are 20 bugs you'll already run out of space
> - The page looks dated and uninviting (I know this is a personal taste
> thing but design has moved on a bit) - why don't you offer the page
> itself on github so people could provide styling?
>
>
>