WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

change in forms mode behaviour in JAWS 12

for

Date: Dec 12, 2011 7:33AM

Hi. It's been a long time. I've been a slacker on nomail for way too long. But here I am again with a question.

I've noticed something that started new in JAWS 12 and hoped some genius here might have a solution. If you're in forms mode and are tabbing between fields, JAWS 12 has become uber chatty, reading all the way down from the main landmark to where you are, rather than just reading the bleeping form label. I've seen this on 3 separate machines with 3 separate versions of windows.

Don't believe me? zip on over to www.easychirp.com with anything below JAWS 12. Tab between the username and password fields. Then go there with JAWS 12 and do the same. You will notice a whole lotta readin' goin' on that we just don't need. A main landmark has to be present for this to happen.

So, what the bleep new JAWS setting would govern this and how can I make it behave like older JAWS? Although I'm usually an arrower rather than a tabber, there are some circumstances where I'd like to stay in forms mode thankyaverymuch. This new chatty Kathy style behaviour makes it hard to do so.

I've asked the blindtech list and gotten total silence. Hopefully someone here will experience the same behaviour and know what setting I could change. I've looked through what's new and I can't find anything that has changed that would govern this..

Thanks in advance.

Carin