WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessibility and geographical maps

for

Date: Jan 22, 2013 10:27PM

Sounds really cool! Not sure I'll convince my bosses to go that far, but we'll see :)

Jason
Tel: +61 8 9222 3070
ext 23070

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Robert Jaquiss
Sent: Tuesday, 22 January 2013 12:29 AM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Accessibility and geographical maps

Hello:

Providing map data accessibly is a big subject. The closest solution there is for this problem comes from ViewPlus Technologies. Their website
is: www.viewplus.com A Tiger embosser is used to emboss a paper copy of the map. A few braille labels can be placed on a braille map. It is possible with lots of work to use a touch tablet so users can touch a place on a map and hear what they have touched. It is possible for a user to zoom in a map by specifying a region, and then have the Tiger print out that region in a full page version. This process can iterate several times.

Another possible solution is available from Touch Graphics. Their web site is www.touchgraphics.com. The TouchGraphics system uses vacuum formed plastic maps and either a touch tablet or pen to provide the user information. The Touch Graphics approach is only useful if many copies of the same image will be needed. You may contact me off list for more information.

Regards,

Robert

Robert Jaquiss
Email: <EMAIL REMOVED>

-----Original Message-----
[mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of COLLIER, Jason
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:08 PM
To: ' <EMAIL REMOVED> '
Subject: [WebAIM] Accessibility and geographical maps

Hi,

Where I work we have lots of geographical maps that contain a lot of data.
Does anyone know about best practices for providing an alternative format for maps?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jason Collier
Website Project Officer. Communications and Marketing Department of Mines and Petroleum
100 Plain Street, East Perth, WA, 6004
Postal: 100 Plain Street, East Perth, WA, 6004 Tel +61 8 9222 3070 <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >
www.dmp.wa.gov.au<;http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/>;

DISCLAIMER: This email, including any attachments, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or personal information and may also be the subject of legal privilege.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained in it.
In this case, please let me know by return email, delete the message permanently from your system and destroy any copies.

Before you take any action based upon advice and/or information contained in this email you should carefully consider the advice and information and consider obtaining relevant independent advice.