E-mail List Archives

Re: text-only version of web pages

for

From: Chagnon | PubCom
Date: Jan 30, 2013 10:17AM


GM wrote, "I can't fight evidence and must back off on those points.
My need remains. Have you a solution to offer?"

Hi GM,
From what you wrote before, "I am not for outlawing graphics, but please
give me the choice.
The ability to "X out" graphics would be appreciated," I replied:

You're right, that's a solution for you.

Given that all graphics on a website use the <image> tag in the HTML
code, it might be possible to create a code widget that can hide the
graphics for you. Click and graphics are hidden, click again and they are
visible.

But I wouldn't wait for the solution to be built for you. Pigs will
fly before that happens!

Why not reach out to the coder community and find someone who can
co-create this with you? There's probably a college student somewhere
in the world studying computer science who needs a small project like
this for his coursework. Heck, there might be someone in Computer
Science at Utah State University, which hosts WebAim. It could be sold
as a $9.99 code widget to web developers, who then can add that feature to
websites.

Don't wait for the solution to come to you. Web developers will stay
gainfully employed without ever meeting your needs because graphics and
visual design dominate the real world.

So become inventive. Rustle up a coder or two and have them work with you on
a code widget that will give you what you need. "Necessity is the mother of
all invention," right?

-Bevi Chagnon
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.PubCom.com - Trainers, Consultants, Designers, Developers.
Print, Web, Acrobat, XML, eBooks, and U.S. Federal Section 508
Accessibility.
New schedule for classes and workshops coming in 2013.

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED>
[mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of GF Mueden@
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:05 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] text-only version of web pages

I can't fight evidence and must back off on those points.
My need remains. Have you a solution to offer?
===gm==

On 1/30/2013 11:41 AM, Chagnon | PubCom wrote:
> GF wrote, "When ordering groceries on line, it is not necessary that
> the list of departments have a graphic incorporated for each department."
>
> Actually, for the company selling groceries, it is necessary.
>
> Statistical research shows that nearly 100% of fully sighted customers
> interpret and comprehend the graphic before reading the actual text.
> So website visitors will recognize an apple graphic for the produce
> department and a fish graphic for the seafood counter faster and more
> accurately than if only words designated the departments. This has
> been so convincingly proven by marketing and psychological research
> for over 100 years that it is no longer studied. It's an accepted
> truth in the business and advertising world.
>
> The message contained in a graphic (that is, a photo, illustration, or
> logo) is interpreted and comprehended in less than 1 second by someone
> who is fully sighted (0.8 seconds if I remember correctly). That same
> message in words will take several seconds, maybe even minutes to have
> the same impact, and the worded message will often be misinterpreted
> or misread. The old saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words" is
accurate.
>
> Your comment, "I have no objection to graphics where needed to tell
> the story, but I do object when it is obvious that the designer is
> just showing off," points in the wrong direction to find a solution
> for your visual disability.
>
> Websites with beautiful graphics, eye-catching designs, animations,
> rotating slideshows and carousels, and all the other "show-off" stuff
> complained about on WebAIM out-sell, out-market, out-persuade, and in
> all other criteria outperform websites without these features.
>
> So these visual features are not going to go away because they make a
> lot of money for the website owners.
>
> GF wrote, "I am not for outlawing graphics, but please give me the choice.
> The ability to "X out" graphics would be appreciated."
>
> You're right, that's a solution for you.
>
> Given that all graphics on a website use the <image> tag in the HTML
> code, it might be possible to create a code widget that can hide the
> graphics for you. Click and graphics are hidden, click again and they are
visible.
>
> But I wouldn't wait for the solution to be built for you. Pigs will
> fly before that happens!
>
> Why not reach out to the coder community and find someone who can
> co-create this with you? There's probably a college student somewhere
> in the world studying computer science who needs a small project like
> this for his coursework. Heck, there might be someone in Computer
> Science at Utah State University, which hosts WebAim. It could be sold
> as a $9.99 code widget to web developers, who then can add that feature to
websites.
>
> GF wrote, "My "Advice for Publishers", written for the benefit of
> those who still read with their eyes but not well, is available as an
> email down load."
>
> I'd love to read your ideas, GF. Please forward it to the list or to
> me directly.
> -Bevi Chagnon
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - - -
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> www.PubCom.com - Trainers, Consultants, Designers, Developers.
> Print, Web, Acrobat, XML, eBooks, and U.S. Federal Section 508
> Accessibility.
> New schedule for classes and workshops coming in 2013.
>
> > > list messages to <EMAIL REMOVED>
>

messages to <EMAIL REMOVED>