WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Question: How to convert a PowerPoint into an accessible page?

for

Date: Jul 13, 2014 4:34PM

Hi,
On 12 Jul 2014, at 23:58, "Robert Jaquiss" < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

> I have a PowerPoint that I want to convert to an accessible web page.

I was wondering about this question for a while, and was somehow surprised that not a single useful idea came to mind… Then it dawned on me that **one** web page is conceptually the wrong approach for representing a PowerPoint presentation. It is its very nature that it consists of a deck of slides. Individual slides that is. So the closest one could get to replicate a slide deck on the web would be to use a stack or sequence of slide-loike entities. Using plain HTML this would probably mean to use one web page per slide, and link them in a suitable fashion, using "next slide" links and maybe also "previous slide" links. Using CSS, JavaScript, and/or maybe SVG would allow for more dynamic options inside what could technically still be considered a single web page, though accessibility could eveneasily suffer in such an approach.

But leaving all this reasoning behind I am still puzzled why I have never heard of an accessible representation for a slide presentation in the form of HTML content…? Does it exist? Or are HTML / web pages just not a good fit for [accessible] slide presentations? How is everybody else sharing their slide presentations in an accessible manner?

Olaf