WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessible Hyperlinks in PDF

for

Date: Oct 30, 2014 1:57PM

I had the same trouble. I followed Jonathan's suggestion. I found after you found the link and tag the link you need to go into the tag and set the title, actual text, alt txt, and the most important Language in property tag. I found without setting the language, JAWS would not recognized the link. I also, found that if I went to Content (located on the left hand side do not confuse with content editing), look under Annotations for link, and right click on "show in tag panel" it would take me to the correct tag to edit. Then right click on properties and updated the information. I also, looked under the tag area for extra links that did not have an OBJR under a link tag and deleted these links because they came up when using Insert + F8 to see links and the links do not work. Finally yet importantly to make all this work you have save and then get out of the document and come back into.
Thank you Jonathan for without your suggestion I would not have found the solution to my problem. There may be an easier way but this worked for me.

Sherry

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Krack, Joseph@DOR
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:10 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Accessible Hyperlinks in PDF

Thanks Jonathan, I tried what you suggested but even though there were two links within the Tag none were recognized using this. Is there another step if they are not shown?

Joe

[mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Jonathan Avila
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 8:54 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Accessible Hyperlinks in PDF

> Can someone give me the exact steps to take to make the hyperlinks
recognized in the PDF and work via the keyboard, or point me in the right direction? I would REALLY appreciate the help.

Locate and select the tag in the tags tree where you want the first link to appear.
Choose Find from the Tags panel > options menu or right click A Find dialog will appear.
Choose unmarked links from the Find drop down Choose the Find button If the desired link is shown, Choose Tag Element A link OBJR element It will be added to the tag you had selected.
Repeat for each link.

Jonathan

[mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Krack, Joseph@DOR
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2014 11:49 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Accessible Hyperlinks in PDF

Dear Group, I am having great difficulty making the hyperlinks in my PDF forms recognized by AT. The forms start in Word and then I make it into a PDF. In PDF the hyperlinks work via mouse, but are not recognized by JAWS nor NVDA. I have searched for ways to make them work, but all of the techniques I have found online don't seem to work. I am using Adobe Acrobat Professional XI.

Can someone give me the exact steps to take to make the hyperlinks recognized in the PDF and work via the keyboard, or point me in the right direction? I would REALLY appreciate the help.

Thank you!

Joe Krack
CA. Dept. of Rehab.