WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessible layout table for Outlook email messages

for

Date: Mar 11, 2015 12:20PM

> I hope you are having a good day. If I create an email message in Microsoft Outlook 2010 for Windows, using a simple 2 row, 1 column layout table, will

It is my experience that some screen readers other than JAWS 15/16 in Windows have trouble reading layout tables in Outlook because the content is not presented in a Web view and is in a MS Word like view. Sometimes the user has to open the mail message in a browser.

Jonathan

-- 
Jonathan Avila 
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group 
<EMAIL REMOVED>
Phone 703.637.8957  
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Blog | Newsletter

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Caid, Lisa M.
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 12:07 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List ( <EMAIL REMOVED> )
Subject: [WebAIM] Accessible layout table for Outlook email messages

Hello everyone,
I hope you are having a good day. If I create an email message in Microsoft Outlook 2010 for Windows, using a simple 2 row, 1 column layout table, will it be accessible? Below is an example.
[Image: department logo]

Email content

Will it be okay to add Heading and List styles, etc. to the email content inside the table?
One reason to use the layout table is to format the email's page dimensions, 8.5 by 11 inches, uniformly. I haven't found a way to do that in Outlook, but I haven't searched Help yet. If I can reliably format page width in Outlook, like setting the page margins in Word, I would prefer to do this. Another reason to use the table is to add borders around the content for interest.
My testing with JAWS version 13 and MS Outlook 2010 for Windows was successful. But I tend to ask the obvious for clarity.
Thank you in advance for your help and patience.
Sincerely,

Lisa M. Caid
Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology - Accessibility<http://www.wtamu.edu/about/web-accessibility.aspx>;
West Texas A&M University
<EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >
(806) 651-1241
IT Service Center (806) 651-4357

If you need email content or attachments in alternate formats for accessibility, please send your contact information and the specifics of your request to <EMAIL REMOVED> <mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> >.