WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: GAAD - fine motor and gross motor experience

for

Date: May 15, 2015 10:23AM

> I understand fine motor and gross motor in theory, I want to be sure I am teaching/guiding them through the issues correctly. When I ask participants try out the "empathy kit" (hair ties and socks, or sponge, tape and pencils,) I want to be clear on the limitations, activities, and needs for each.

Do you have anyone who will participating who has motor limitations themselves? That would be ideal.

Your "empathy kit" (that name makes me a little uncomfortable) seems to be focused on material things, activities of daily living, etc. Will you be doing anything that has to do with computers or mobile devices? E.g. computing without a mouse; computing with a large keyboard; using assistive touch on a phone; using pedals, voice, foot switches, buttons, or puff tubes to control technology? I ask not just because that is the focus of this list, but also because computing is a key part of 21st century enfranchisement, and mobility problems with computing don't get brought up nearly as often as some other issues.

I'm glad you are doing this!

Deborah Kaplan
Accessibility Team Co-Lead
Dreamwidth Studios Llc