WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Native Mobile apps and WCAG

for

Date: Oct 10, 2016 2:47PM

Hi,
Have you tried to bring in Section 508 Desktop standards to argue for using native controls and things like avoiding interfering with the accessibility features of the OS?

Thanks.

Jim

=========Jim Homme,
Accessibility Consultant,
Bender HighTest Accessibility Team
Bender Consulting Services, Inc.,
412-787-8567,
<EMAIL REMOVED>
http://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions
E+R=O

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of JP Jamous
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2016 9:47 AM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Native Mobile apps and WCAG

It is an arm wrestle. I have dealtmobile app that has some parts that are inaccessible.

My only solution at this point is to follow UX standards and Section 508 of ensuring that any digital application must be accessible to comply with reasonable accommodations.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Birkir R. Gunnarsson
Sent: Thursday, October 6, 2016 8:36 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Native Mobile apps and WCAG

For those of you who have had to prepare arguments for making mobile apps accessible, and what that means, how have you gone about it?
WCAG 2.0 is the only accessibility standard out there, really (at least from a legal perspective), but it is designed for the web (most of it can be applied to mobile apps, I am aware of the WCAG to ICT project).
BBC also did fantastic work developing mobile accessibility gudelines, but obviously that is not an official standard.

So if your client or your boss or even a colleague asks you if they should make their mobile app accessible or just the responsive version of their webpage, how would you convince them to do the mobile, and how would you explain how WCAG works with OS guides.
Cheers
-B
--
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.