WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 139, Issue 6

for

Date: Oct 10, 2016 8:17AM

It may be that the images have not been placed in line with the text. You can get to the alt text but not in context with the images position on the page. For JAWS 17 you can bring up a list of objects cntrl+shift+o and then navigate to the images.

If you are floating the images to achieve your design you will probably need to convert to PDF - of course right now image alt text is broken in PDF for JAWS 17. It works with all other windows screen readers though. I do not know the status of screen reader support for alt text on other platforms.

Mike Moore
Accessibility Coordinator
Texas Health and Human Services Commission
Civil Rights Office
(512) 438-3431 (Office)

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Sarah McManus
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2016 4:13 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 139, Issue 6

I have a Word doc that passes the Accessibility Checker and follows all the best practices from what I can tell but JAWS 17 will not recognize any of the images. I put in the alt tags but JAWS says, "blank" and skips over it.

Any thoughts?

Sarah McManus, Ph.D.

Director | Digital Learning

Education Services for the Deaf and Blind

North Carolina Department of Public Instruction

Raleigh, NC

[P] 919-715-1476

Visit us on the website at www.ncpublicschools.org<;http://www.ncpublicschools.org/>;.

***All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement***

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > on behalf of <EMAIL REMOVED> < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Sent: Friday, October 7, 2016 2:00 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 139, Issue 6

Send WebAIM-Forum mailing list submissions to
<EMAIL REMOVED>

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://list.webaim.org/mailman/listinfo/webaim-forum
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
<EMAIL REMOVED>

You can reach the person managing the list at
<EMAIL REMOVED>

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of WebAIM-Forum digest..."

Visit us on the web at www.ncpublicschools.org. All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.