WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Poll: HTML Emails vs. Plain Text Emails

for

Date: Sep 20, 2017 9:17AM

I agree, HTML is much better for me as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Beranek, Nicholas via WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ]
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:15 AM
To: JP Jamous < <EMAIL REMOVED> >; WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Poll: HTML Emails vs. Plain Text Emails

Thank you, JP; I appreciate the response! That's how I feel, too. I want screen reader users to enjoy the same benefits of scanning headings and links to aid in navigation. Plain text simply does not offer that.-----Original Message-----From: JP Jamous [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 11:03 AMTo: Beranek, Nicholas < <EMAIL REMOVED> >; 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >Subject: RE: [WebAIM] Poll: HTML Emails vs. Plain Text EmailsNick,I personally like HTML e-mails as they have the links, bullets, numbers and other tabular information. However, some e-mails are way too large as far as content, which forces JAWS to take a long time to render the HTML. Those, I prefer them in plain text. If it is going to take my SR almost 2 minutes to respond to me, I am deleting that e-mail.The other part of HTML e-mails is that they have to be composed properly. I use the Outlook client and it does strip the images out of the e-mail for security reasons. I am fine with that. As long as the link has some alternative text. I never tried it via code myself, but adding aria-label="Check Your Balance" would be better than the Alt attribute as the image would get blocked.Plain text lacks a lot of that convenience and you want to provide your customers with that convenience. If my bank sends me a plain e-mail, I would not want to copy and paste each URL in it.-----Original Message-----From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Beranek, Nicholas via WebAIM-ForumSent: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:52 AMTo: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >Subject: [WebAIM] Poll: HTML Emails vs. Plain Text EmailsHi folks,We strive to provide our customers with accessible HTML emails that everyone can enjoy. We have also provided plain text emails as an accommodation if the customer requests that format. We'd like to know how many of you opt for plain text emails. Would you mind responding to me directly with your answer? I have noticed many of you will respond with plain text emails that you've composed.If you'd like to discuss emails within the forum, then feel free to reply to all.Thank you!Nick BeranekCapital One