WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Styling of video captions

for

Date: Apr 13, 2018 11:10AM

In my opinion captions are either text or images of text and thus contrast minimums need to apply. In the US closed caption display requirements exist for physical devices under the CVAA and also apply when video programming owners display their video programming content over IP. It doesn't apply to all web based video players -- only to situations like where ABC, NBC, etc. would be delivering their own content. You might check out the settings in those online players like ABCs under caption > settings and see the options they provide for foreground, background, opacity, ec.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access
<EMAIL REMOVED>
703.637.8957 office

Visit us online:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog

Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Steve Green
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2018 1:01 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Styling of video captions

One of my clients is adding captions to the videos on their website and they sent me some examples. The captions are white text on a mid-grey translucent background so the video content shows through a little. The colour contrast is fine but I feel that the translucency reduces the readability a little because the background colour changes both within a frame and over time. It's difficult for me to be objective now because I can't help looking for a problem, and I don't know if it will be a problem in practice.

I told the client I would prefer the text to be on a solid background but they say the styling is fixed - they are using Vimeo. I can't find anything in WCAG that specifies any aspect of the styling of captions. Does anyone know of any requirements in WCAG or any other standard? Has anyone done any user testing with different caption styles or had any feedback from users?

Regards,
Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd
020 3002 4176 (direct)
0800 612 2780 (switchboard)
07957 246 276 (mobile)
020 7692 5517 (fax)
<EMAIL REMOVED>
www.testpartners.co.uk

Connect to me on LinkedIn - http://uk.linkedin.com/in/stevegreen2