WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Talkback vs Voice assistant

for

Date: Dec 21, 2018 8:55AM

I thought Talkback was installed on all Samsung devices but I recently found out it isn't. We have 25 Samsung phones and tablets and I recently had to install Talkback on a couple of them. I don't recall which models they were but they are likely to be Galaxy S6 or newer because we were using them for user testing.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: 21 December 2018 15:40
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Talkback vs Voice assistant

Hi Ram,

The built -n screen reader on Samsung is TalkBack with some customizations specific to Samsung devices (and a different name). You could download the pure Android Accessibility Suite <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.marvin.tal
kback&hl=en_US> from Google (new name for TalkBack packaged with other Google accessibility features), but I'm not sure if the Samsung device will recognize it. I can test later today.

So you should be able to test with the built in screen reader on Samsung, but you might get slightly different results if it is not based on the most current version of TalkBalk (currently v7.2.0.220693075, at least on my pixel 2 with the latest Android 9 security update)

Thankx.

Joe Humbert, CPWA

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Ramakrishnan Subramanian
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2018 9:13 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Talkback vs Voice assistant

Dear members,

I would like to hear your opinion on using which screen reader for accessibility testing in android platform. Particularly Samsung.

Samsung comes with default screen reader i.e. voice access. Other devices have talkback as the default screen reader. While performing accessibility testing in Samsung device, should we use talkback? Or the default one i.e.
voice access.

Thanks and regards

Ram

--

Thanks and Regards

Ramakrishnan

http://webaim.org/discussion/archives

<EMAIL REMOVED>