WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Something About Formatting Word Docs Feels Wrong For Whatever Reason

for

Date: Apr 24, 2019 10:03AM

> Yep, which is why PDF 2.0 adds a Title structure element. It's actually long overdue, as there's a clear semantic distinction that's necessary in the fixed-format document use case (not sayin' nothin' about other use cases).

This is great! I'd also add that I personally think there is a case in HTML as well as Epub for keeping headings and title separate. Even in HTML I see no hard reason why the title and heading 1 have to match

Jon

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Duff Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2019 12:00 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Something About Formatting Word Docs Feels Wrong For Whatever Reason

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

>
> But the title of a document should look different from headings in the document. We need the Title Style to be able to do that or we would be creating it.

Yep, which is why PDF 2.0 adds a Title structure element. It's actually long overdue, as there's a clear semantic distinction that's necessary in the fixed-format document use case (not sayin' nothin' about other use cases).

> I use the Title Style all the time and if I want to adhere to PDF/UA I just use F2 in the Tags Tree and change it to <H1> in Acrobat.

Of course, the Title structure element was not available in PDF 1.7 (2008), which is what PDF/UA-1 (first published in 2012) uses (since it was the latest-and-greatest PDF specification available at the time).

PDF/UA-2 (still under development, but likely in 2020) will use the "dated revision" of PDF 2.0 (likely to be published in the next year), and so users with PDF 2.0 (and PDF/UA-2)-conforming software will finally be able to fully distinguish between titles and headings in their documents.

Not everything is or can be based the assumption of an HTML page.

Duff.