WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: SC 2.1.2 and braille displays/notetakers

for

Date: Sep 5, 2019 9:46AM

If you can shift focus to and from the component using a keyboard, why might it not be possible to do so using a Braille display? Have you ever heard of this happening? If it did happen, I am inclined to say that it is a fault with the Braille display rather than a WCAG non-compliance, although I would need to see the code to be certain.

If a website relies entirely on accessibility-supported technologies, which includes keyboards, then it is not a non-compliance if someone does not have one or does not know how to use it.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Michael Ausbun
Sent: 05 September 2019 15:44
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] SC 2.1.2 and braille displays/notetakers

Greetings,
Yesterday, I was discussing Success criteria 2.1.2 no keyboard trap with a colleague and a question came up I did not know how to directly address. I am curious what folks think:
If a person is fully reliant on a braille notetaker device (like the braille note touch or the Polaris) or a braille display for all interactions with web content; and, If a person is able to shift focus to a component with the braille display or notetaker and cannot shift focus away from said component; but, If a person were using a keyboard they could shift focus to and from the component; but, A person does not have access, or know how, to use a keyboard; Does 2.1.2 still pass?
I have been curious for a while now how certain aspects of WCAG2.1 really benefit braille display users. Being blind and a braille reader, I enjoy my braille display-especially when reading code; however, since I don't really use my braille display for navigation (just reading), I never really thought about this aspect.
I appreciate the feedback
Respectfully,
Michael Ausbun