WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

[Athen] Powerpoint, screenreaders and text boxes

for

Date: Jan 30, 2020 5:13PM

Accessibility comes into play when you need to create a braille or large print copy of the presentation. When you save the presentation as an outline or RTF and add accessible structure to the text, you will have to copy and paste everything that is in a tex box into the RTF/Word doc. Using the default accessible placeholders saves you time and is just good practice.

Yes, I can read content in text boxes in PowerPoint with my screen reader but why delete the accessible placeholders to put text boxes in their place when you can modify the available layouts or create your own and save you time you beef an alternate format.

I can send you a sample of what I mean in the morning and give you a call if you like.

Cheers, Karen

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 30, 2020, at 6:13 PM, Howard Kramer < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
>
> Seems to also work with JAWS.
>
> -Howard
>
>> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 3:17 PM Howard Kramer < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>> Thanks Susan! Good to know.
>>
>> -Howard
>>
>>> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 3:17 PM Susan Kelmer < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>>> Well, that's interesting! NVDA is always making advancements, unlike Jaws, and they may have solved this puzzle.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> However, if a screenreader user is using Jaws, then there will still be a problem as Jaws won't read (or even see) those text boxes.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Susan Kelmer
>>>
>>> Alternate Format Production Program Manager
>>>
>>> Disability Services
>>>
>>> Division of Student Affairs
>>>
>>> T 303 735 4836
>>>
>>> www.colorado.edu/disabilityservices
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> <image001.png>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Due to the nature of electronic communication, the security of this message cannot be guaranteed. If you've received this email in error please notify the sender immediately and delete this message.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> From: athen-list < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Howard Kramer
>>> Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2020 3:00 PM
>>> To: Access Technology Higher Education Network < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>>> Subject: [Athen] Powerpoint, screenreaders and text boxes
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I've been playing around with PowerPoint (2013 for Windows) and NVDA. It's always been emphasized not to use text boxes and instead to use the slide layouts but I notice that NVDA reads the text boxes without problem although you may need to rearrange the order in the selection pane. I can see that the text boxes are missing from the outline view but I can't see to get NVDA to read that pane in any case.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Does the admonition against text boxes still apply?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Howard
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Howard Kramer
>>>
>>> Conference Coordinator
>>>
>>> Accessing Higher Ground
>>>
>>> 303-492-8672
>>>
>>> cell: 720-351-8668
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Join us for the Accessing Higher Ground Conference in Westminster, Colorado, Nov 16-20, 2020. Request for proposals will be announced late February.
>>>
>>> Complete program information and registration is open for our full line-up of Spring 2020 webinars. Site capacities for all webinar events is limited; please register at your earliest convenience for the largest selection.
>>>
>>> Not yet a member of AHEAD? We welcome you to join AHEAD now.
>>>
>>>
>>> >>> athen-list mailing list
>>> <EMAIL REMOVED>
>>> http://mailman12.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/athen-list
>>
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Howard
>>
>> Howard Kramer
>> Conference Coordinator
>> Accessing Higher Ground
>> 303-492-8672
>> cell: 720-351-8668
>>
>> Join us for the Accessing Higher Ground Conference in Westminster, Colorado, Nov 16-20, 2020. Request for proposals will be announced late February.
>>
>> Complete program information and registration is open for our full line-up of Spring 2020 webinars. Site capacities for all webinar events is limited; please register at your earliest convenience for the largest selection.
>>
>> Not yet a member of AHEAD? We welcome you to join AHEAD now.
>>
>
>
> --
> Regards,
> Howard
>
> Howard Kramer
> Conference Coordinator
> Accessing Higher Ground
> 303-492-8672
> cell: 720-351-8668
>
> Join us for the Accessing Higher Ground Conference in Westminster, Colorado, Nov 16-20, 2020. Request for proposals will be announced late February.
>
> Complete program information and registration is open for our full line-up of Spring 2020 webinars. Site capacities for all webinar events is limited; please register at your earliest convenience for the largest selection.
>
> Not yet a member of AHEAD? We welcome you to join AHEAD now.
>
> > athen-list mailing list
> <EMAIL REMOVED>
> http://mailman12.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/athen-list