WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: automatic tab activation sample from ARIA Practices document with current Jaws behaviour

for

Date: May 17, 2023 10:24AM

What is your auto forms mode set to? I generally use semi-automatic, and the default should be “automatic”.
You can also try pressing insert-Z to disable the virtual cursor and see if the behavior is more what you expect.

> On May 17, 2023, at 11:12 AM, David Farough < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> I am having trouble getting this pattern to work properly using Jaws.
>
> Is there a particular jaws setting that I should adjust to make the tabs work as expected?
>
> When I go to the examples https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/apg/patterns/tabs/examples/tabs-automatic/
> I get the following behaviour when in the tab list.
> Pressing the down arrow key moves to the next tab in the list but does not activate the new tab.
> Pressing tab at this point does not take me to the active tab panel, instead, my focus goes to the next tab in the list.
> Pressing the up or down arrow keys are working as if this were a vertical tab list.
> Pressing the left or right arrow keys move by character within the focussed tab.
>
> When using NVDA these tabs work as expected.
>
> I have been looking at the Jaws Navigation options for tables, controls, Controls and tables, and off settings.
> These do not cause the tabs to be activated when focussed.
>
> Is there another setting I should look at?
> I don't remember running into this issue before.
> I would appreciate Any information on this issue.
> Thanks
> > > >