WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: WordPress: Getting Started

for

Date: Oct 18, 2023 11:42AM

I have heard that there are accessible Wordpress themes. But my experience as a JAWS user is that the Wordpress ecosystem is full of land mines. I helped review a new church site a few years ago. It had inaccessible tables, headings, lists and buttons as I recall. I had no opportunity to see the content development side, such as what a blogger would work in. That could be a challenge as well.
Be sure to test your project as soon as possible. I think the WCAG is a wonderful guide, but you may find the problems to be so obvious that you do not need such a detailed guide.

Jeff Gutsell

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of David Russell
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2023 3:57 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] WordPress: Getting Started

Hello WebAIM members,

A sighted friend will be providing me assistance, either directive oriented, or doing, to help me create something between a blog/website at WordPress. I want to keep the choice to use a free version, rather than premium at $96 annually.

As to accessibility, do we have alternatives besides the WCAG program to guide creation?
Can I find something practical under the ADA Act?

I am a general fiction author by avocation, and this is the purpose for going with a blog/website on WordPress.

At present I use NVDA as screen reader, an all-in-one computer, and am a blind person. These will be my tools to create content etc.

The prospect of a blog/website, rolled into one is exciting to me!

Thanks for the asistance in advance!
Kindly,
--
David C. Russell, Author
<EMAIL REMOVED>