WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Accessibility issue?

for

Date: Nov 20, 2023 1:52PM

Thanks, Steve. That is what I was concluding but wanted someone else's input to confirm. Have a great holiday!

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Steve Green
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2023 2:45 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Accessibility issue?

WARNING: This message has originated from an External Source. This may be a phishing expedition that can result in unauthorized access to our IT System. Please use proper judgment and caution when opening attachments, clicking links, or responding to this email.

I don't see anything that would constitute a non-conformance.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Schafer, Carmen
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2023 7:48 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Accessibility issue?

Hi,
I'm trying to confirm if this is an accessibility issue per the WCAGs on a form we are testing:

There is a required form question "Do you want to remain anonymous?" with Yes or No radio buttons. Below it is an "I agree" statement with a checkbox when you first load the form.
[screenshot of the text description provided.] If you choose the Yes radio button, text appears directly below it without a screen reader user's knowledge saying, "If you report your concern anonymously, please make a note of the unique PIN number you receive after successfully submitting your report....and so on" which the text will be skipped using the Tab key.
[screenshot of the text description provided.] If you choose the No radio button, additional questions with textboxes "What is your name?" and "What is your email address?" appears directly below it but it is in the correct tab order.
[screenshot of the text description provided.]

After choosing the "Yes" radio button on the 'Do you want to remain anonymous?" the message appears below the form controls without prior warning. The text could be easily missed using the Tab key and focus doesn't move to revealed content.

Is this an accessibility issue per the WCAGs? The one I thought it might be is SC 3.2.2 On Input<https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG22/Understanding/on-input.html> but after reviewing it, I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help.
Carmen