WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Cost of Web accessibility, yet again

for

Date: Oct 6, 2004 7:29AM

In doing a pile of accessibility reviews in the past few months I've found that I can quote an audit at about 1-2 hours per HTML page and that includes a reasonable cushion for meetings, familiarizing yourself with the site, and anything else involved in the audit process. So a 10 page site would take an estimated 20 hours and you may get through it in 10 if you're quick or the pages are small. You can write the report as you go if you have a simple template set up to record the location, type, and recommendations for the problems you find.

You should have a good idea of how badly screwed up it is after looking at a sampling of the pages. I've noticed that developers usually mess up the same things over and over again. Once you know that you should be able to provide some better estimates for how long the actual rebuild would take. Until you look at things like the layout, quality of existing code, use of proper attributes, use of templates or a CMS system and other site specific factors your estimate for fixing the site could be off by an order of magnitude.

-Kevin Hall