WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

RE: Unordered Lists

for

Date: Aug 12, 2005 11:13AM

Hi Patrick,

You said:
"I'm not saying that OL is impractical. For the user, it's not that different from UL."

How do you know that UL and OL does not have any significant differences as list of links for users with non-graphical browsers?
(you mentioned that you did tests on your org's Web site with a screen reader some time ago)

You said:
"However, it's [OL] the wrong element/construct to use from a web standards / semantic / structural point of view."

If OL would prove to be more user friendly than UL, would you say that your organisation's Web accessibility policy gives higher priority to the usability of your Web site rather than its coding semantics?

(Also, is really DIV proper semantics as content structure for list of links in your Breadcrumb bar?)

I (Thomas) said:
"Would you say your visitors would benefit if your organisation would do a new test, to find out how newer user agents best let users navigate links? (e.g. either UL, OL, DIV, P, MAP+E or DL as navigation links)"

Then you said:
"And yes, if you want to pay for it [tests], I'd be glad to get more testing done *grin*"

Does it have to cost anything (or very much)? Why not let the students make such tests as a special course/extra study (or what you call it)?

(answer if you find your effort worthwhile - it's ok)
Thanks,
Thomas Jedenfelt

----- Original Message -----
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005

>
> > Thomas Jedenfelt
>
> > You said that "The problem with OL is that it implies a
> > hierarchy/order that is not necessarily there".
> > Are you sure that the (your) users, nowadays, find OL more...
> > impractical(?) that UL.
>
> I'm not saying that OL is impractical. For the user, it's not that
> different from UL. However, it's the wrong element/construct to use
> from a web standards / semantic / structural point of view.
>
> And yes, if you want to pay for it, I'd be glad to get more
> testing done *grin*
>
> Patrick
> ___________
> Patrick H. Lauke
> Webmaster / University of Salford
> http://www.salford.ac.uk

--

Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:
Download Opera 8 at http://www.opera.com