WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Asking for views on using h1-h6headingmarkupinsidedatatables

for

Date: Aug 30, 2017 7:40PM

Might this be something that the accessibility committees can discuss? The W.A.I., PDF/UA, and EPUB?
--Bevi Chagnon

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Jonathan Avila
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:30 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Asking for views on using h1-h6 heading markup inside data tables

> But I have found legitimate needs for subheads within tables used for statistical data, such as a government agency's table I reviewed today. These are data tables, not layout tables.

I agree - I have seen situations where we need headings within data tables because there can be large amounts of data in table cells that is indeed tabular data. Ideally the user agents and AT should be smart enough to figure out a heading structure within a cell might be specific to that cell rather than relative to the document as a whole -- but unfortunately this has never been well adopted.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access, inc. (formerly SSB BART Group, inc.)
(703) 637-8957
<EMAIL REMOVED>
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Chagnon | PubCom
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:24 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List' < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Asking for views on using h1-h6 heading markup inside data tables

Agree with Karen's and others' comments.

But I have found legitimate needs for subheads within tables used for statistical data, such as a government agency's table I reviewed today. These are data tables, not layout tables.

I don't think table subheads like the samples below should use the same tags as H1 to H6 used for navigation in the main document. Instead, I'd like the WAI committee to consider specific table subhead tags that will notify the user that they're entering a new section of content in the table, and maybe even let the user navigate within the table by these table subheads.

A small snippet of a sample table like this is below.

It has two subcategories for Social Security and Major Health Care Programs, along with their subtotals.

Item

Social Security

Old-Age and Survivors Insurance

Disability Insurance

Subtotal

Major Health Care Programs

Medicare

Medicaid

Health insurance subsidies and related spending

Children's Health Insurance Program

Subtotal

I don't know what to call these items, maybe table section headers would work. Their purpose is to signal the reader that they are entering a new section of data within the table.

One technique we use with this type of table is to write a table summary that describes the table's structure, such as 'This table contains several subsections of data with individual subtotals for each subsection: Social Security, Major Health Care Programs,- etc.

--Bevi Chagnon