WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Diving into web-accessibility, what to start with?

for

Date: Jun 21, 2020 11:53PM

Hi Vsevolod

You've already got a good idea of why a11y is needed. I'm a blind pc and iPhone user myself, but I had to find out how to use the Mac and Android to properly test a11y. Boy, that was a steep and frustrating learning curve, but worthwhile.

Cheers

Barry

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of ???????? ?????
Sent: 21 June 2020 2:30 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Diving into web-accessibility, what to start with?

Hello Barry,
Thank you for your answer!
I am a completely blind user myself but it is still really useful to know about the accessibility background. I am using nvda, VoiceOver on MacOS and iOS. Thank you and I will surely ask questions when I have more information.
Отправлено с iPhone

> 21 июня 2020 г., в 08:58, <EMAIL REMOVED> написал(а):
>
> Hi Vsevolod
>
> It's disappointing to find that, like most colleges and universities, your university doesn't have a whole module on the subject.
>
> I would say that it's better to look into the background of accessibility before tackling WCAG. You've probably already figured it out or else you wouldn't even have the interest, but learning why it is necessary is a good start. Find out how assistive technology (AT) - such as screen readers, magnifiers and switch controls - work with apps and websites. Youtube have plenty of examples but it is also good to try them out if you can. Apple, Android and Microsoft devises come with AT built in, but I would also recommend NVDA as a screen reader to try. There are plenty of websites that explain how to use AT to test a11y.
>
> Once you've got a background of what and why, you will hopefully find the WCAG less daunting. The 'Understanding WCAG' sites are more detailed than just the straight-forward WCAG pages, but they don't always have the most up-to-date info.
>
> The BBC and Apple also have some good guidelines for a11y that you might like to take a look at. Again, Google will find them for you.
>
> Cheers
>
> Barry
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of ???????? ?????
> Sent: 21 June 2020 12:08 AM
> To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> Subject: [WebAIM] Diving into web-accessibility, what to start with?
>
> Hello everyone!
> Let me introduce myself first.
> My name is Vsevolod, I am from Russia.
> I am a student of the university, I am finishing the first course and studying at the IT faculty.
> I am interested in a web-development and learning django now.
> But i am also interested in web-accessibility.
> I don't know practically anything about it except of WCAG existence.
> I have a question.
> I would like to dive into web-accessibility, but i am not sure what to start with.
> Could you please recommend me any materials to learn as a beginner?
> Or is it better to start diving into reading WCAG right from the start and trying to read it's documentation?
> Thank you in advance!
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>