WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: is there a way to specify the language for the descriptive text for an image in PowerPoint

for

Date: Jan 4, 2023 12:41PM

I did as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Karen McCall
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2023 11:52 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] is there a way to specify the language for the descriptive text for an image in PowerPoint

Done! Hopefully as a Microsoft MVP for Office Apps and Services, it will float up the ladder?

Cheers, Karen

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Kelly Ford
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2023 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] is there a way to specify the language for the descriptive text for an image in PowerPoint

This is the sort of feedback and need you should definitely make sure is logged with Microsoft with email to <EMAIL REMOVED> .

Kelly

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > on behalf of Karen McCall < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2023 10:10 AM

There is currently no mechanism to allow multilingual Alt Text for graphics. We've been asking for this for as long as Alt Text has existed. It is a real need. I have one graphic in a document with both English and Spanish text but can't identify the change in language in the Alt Text. Nor can I assign a different language for the entire Alt Text.

Cheers, Karen

From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of David Farough
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2023 10:21 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List ( <EMAIL REMOVED> ) < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] is there a way to specify the language for the descriptive text for an image in PowerPoint

No matter what I do to change the language for the description, the English language is used by my screen reader when I move to the object.
Is your default display language assumed when presenting images?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks