Virtual Web Accessibility Training
August 12–13, 2020
WebAIM Virtual Web Accessibility Training
When: August 12–13, 12–5pm Eastern (9am–2pm Pacific)
Where: Online via Zoom
Cost: $500/person ($400 each for groups of two or more)
Join WebAIM's accessibility experts for two days of virtual web accessibility training August 12–13. This training will provide the resources and information you need to empower your organization to meet all your future accessibility needs.
- This training session will teach basic web accessibility principles and advanced accessibility techniques.
- Learn what you need to know to ensure that your web site meets international guidelines and legal requirements.
- This training is primarily suited for web developers, though it will be valuable for designers, program managers, quality assurance experts, or anyone interested in gaining a deep understanding of web accessibility. A basic understanding of HTML is recommended.
- Training participants receive a complimentary registration for WebAIM's Document (Word, PowerPoint, and PDF) Accessibility online course—a $125 value.
- If you are looking for organizational or system change work in accessibility, you may want to consider our Strategic Accessibility Workshop – StrategicA11y as this may be a better fit for your needs.
Registration is limited to ensure individualized attention, so register now to secure your place. There are currently 4 registrations remaining.
- How is this similar to the face-to-face training?
- The main similarity is that both events are live training events with an emphasis on interaction and participation. Questions and interaction are encouraged, and we keep our group size small—25 participants.
- How is it different?
- The virtual training is shorter—8 total hours (there is a one-hour break each day) vs. about 12 hours for a face-to-face training. As part of optimizing our activities for an online setting, we believe a shorter day is important to keep people engaged and focused. The same general topics will be covered in both trainings, but with less detail in the virtual option (especially the introduction, legal requirements, user experience, and deeper ARIA). However, we will spend more time on evaluation activities. Please contact us with questions about content differences.
- What if I want the full training?
- We are planning to resume face-to-face training in the future—hopefully this fall or winter. In the meantime, you can purchase additional virtual training or consultation through our "Training Plus" option.
- What is Training Plus?
- As part of a training registration, you will have the option to secure 3 hours of one-on-one time with WebAIM staff at a discounted price of $500. You can use this time for additional training, a mini-evaluation, or other consultation. Additional details are available during registration.
- Will the training be archived?
- Since this is an interactive training and not a webinar, an archived version will not be available.
- What will I need in order to participate?
- A reliable internet connection—We will provide this training over Zoom for optimal accessibility, interaction, and engagement. A microphone is strongly recommended because you will have opportunities to speak and ask questions. A webcam is also recommended — We hope you will feel comfortable sharing your video to allow more personal interactions.
- Will the training be accessible?
- We have been providing online training for years and know what it takes to create an accessible online experience. The event will be captioned, and we will be happy to work with you before the event to address any accessibility concerns you might have.
- What if we have a group of people participating in the same room?
- A registration is for a single person. Multiple registrants may share a single Zoom connection, though we recommend that each person have a connected computer so they can ask questions and participate in activities. We also offer customized training, or you can contact us to discuss other group training options.
- What is your cancellation policy?
- We offer a full refund up to 5 days before the event. There is a $100 fee for a cancellation within 5 days of the event. No-shows can request a refund, minus a $250 fee, up to a week after the missed event.
The training will be held over two days. Each day, we will meet 12–2pm Eastern, take a one-hour break, and then finish 3–5pm. This schedule should be convenient for participants throughout the Continental United States.
- Overview of WCAG 2 (new 2.1 changes will be covered throughout the training)
- Auditory disabilities
- Captions and transcripts for multimedia
- Visual disabilities
- Zooming content
- Color reliance
- How screen readers work
- Page Title
- ARIA & Landmarks
- Forms (labels, fieldset/legend)
- Document language
- Alternative text
- Photosensitive epilepsy
- Motor disabilities
- Considerations for voice control software
- Meaningful link text
- Keyboard navigation
- Mobile accessibility
- WCAG label and name
- Hiding content with CSS
- Skip links
- Contrast of user interface components
- Cognitive and learning disabilities
- Understandable content
- Legible text
- Animating and time-sensitive content
- Evaluating web accessibility
- Principles and methodologies for evaluation and user testing
- WAVE and other automated tools
- Keyboard testing
- Screen reader testing
The last session of the training will be split into two breakout groups:
- Advanced topics
- Rules of ARIA use
- ARIA labels and descriptions
- Form error messaging
- Tabindex and scripting
- ARIA roles, states, and properties
- Document Accessibility Overview
- Creating accessible Microsoft Office documents (Word and PowerPoint)
- Converting Office documents to PDF
- PDF principles
- PDF evaluation and repair in Acrobat
Need Help or Have Questions?
If you have any questions regarding the workshop or the registration process, please contact us.